Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Followers

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Yesterday and Today

Today I went to the police station for this district. At least, I think it was for this district but maybe it's just for Nakoo. One of the police officers picked me up at school today and drove me there. He spoke some basic English and we conversed in English and Thai. It was one of those instances where he would speak in English and I would speak in Thai. I always like doing that....kind of like switching languages. It's fun.

Arrived at the station and just hung out with some of the Thai Police Officers. Chatted with some of them and then chatted with the Chief who speaks English pretty well. He asked me to come by the station once a week for an hour and teach the policemen some basic English. Today I just posed for photos with them. If I get a copy I'll try posting them up here. He said he is going to make a large poster out of one of the photos....that's kind of flattering.

I wonder if anyone told him that I'm going to China in March?

Yesterday was my 28th birthday! Seems so old! I can't believe it's been 10 years since I graduated from High School and almost 5 years since I graduated from University...wow.

The first time I went to China was in 2003. The second time was in 2005. And now, it's 2008 and I'm going back for my third year. Should be a year to remember! Now that I finally have a digital camera I can take some pics of Zhong Guo (China) and post them on-line. Eventually, I'd like to buy a better camera but the one I have for now should suffice until I have enough money for a really good camera.

Anyway, after school yesterday the Thai teachers from the English Department took me out for dinner. We had Korean BBQ. The kind where you cook your own food basically. It was cool I guess.

The day before Heidi and Daniel, two Australian teachers in a nearby village, came by with a birthday cake. We played some Nintendo Wii and Scrabble. Good times.

My contract with this school ends of Feb. 29th so I have 24 days left to go.

I want to exit Thailand on March 3rd and enter Vientiane, Laos because it's closer than Bangkok and doesn't seem so busy and crowded. It's also closer to China and there is a Chinese Embassy there so that's where I'll apply for my L-Visa. After I get my L-Visa I think I'll take a bus from Laos to Kunming, China and from there I'l probably just take a plane to Changsha.

I'm hoping to arrive in Changsha sometime between March 8th and March 10th.

I'm going to be working for a University again and I am really looking forward to it because working with junior high and high school kids in Thailand just feels like a waste of time and energy. Lots of kids don't even go to any of their classes and most of my classes are usually 15 minutes late......the King of Thailand made a decree that no student can fail any course in school so there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to show up on time or at all. I could post a long rant about the problems with the Thai Education system but I won't.

Chinese English Majors will be a lot easier to work with.....a LOT and I'll be able to get back into the swing of speaking Mandaring which is something I really want to focus on this year.

Well, that's all I have to blog about for today.

See you next time.

Brandon

No comments: