- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast - regular or fast acting
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil - to brush on dough
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce - purchased or home made
- 12 slices pepperoni - more if desired
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese - shredded
Serving Description: 1 calzone
Servings: 3 (Original Servings: 6)
Enter desired servings: Change Servings
Container: baking sheet, large skillet, large bowl
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
* Place water in a large bowl.
* Sprinkle yeast on top and whisk in the honey until everything is dissolved.
* Use a whisk to stir in the salt and flour.
* When too thick to mix with the whisk, mix with floured hands.
* Knead on a floured surface for 5 minutes.
* Shape into a smooth ball and place back in the bowl.
* Brush with a little olive oil and cover the bowl with a towel.
* Set the bowl in a warm place for 1-2 hours so the dough can rise.
* The dough should double in size.
* You can make the filling for these while the dough rises.
* The dough may be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen until ready to use.
* Allow it to come to room temperature before using and knead a few times to warm it up.
* Punch down the risen dough.
* Divide it into 6 equal portions.
* Roll out the dough one at a time on a floured surface into a 6-8 inch circle.
* Preheat oven to 450° F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
* Spoon a couple teaspoonfuls of marinara sauce on half of the circle of dough, leaving 1/2 inch rim around the edge of the dough.
* Place four pepperoni slices on top of the marinara. Can use more if you like.
* Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
* Moisten the outside rim of the dough with water using your finger or a small pastry brush.
* Fold the dough over the top of the filling and crimp the edges. This will make a half moon shape.
* Go around the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.
* Prick the top of the calzone with a fork to let the steam escape while baking.
* Arrange assembled calzones on the baking sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
* Brush the tops with butter or oil during the last five minutes of baking.
* Serve warm.